Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Trending Tuesday- White Oak

Ya’ll it is only Tuesday!!!! How is that possible?! I woke up today ready to tackle Wednesday like a boss, only to be stopped in my tracks when I realized it was in fact Tuesday. Maybe I was thrown off because Monday was a doozy of a day. Big rain storms rolled through Houston, which meant I powered through a lot of paperwork, upcoming client presentations and finally organized my stash of fabric books. I guess I felt like I accomplished so much that I thought there was no way today could only be day two of the work week. Regardless, the day must go on….whatever day it is.

The good thing about it being Tuesday is I’m sharing another favorite trend of mine, and this one is taking over the design world in a big way- White Oak. While rich, dark wood will likely never fully go away, there has been a steady swing to making interiors lighter and brighter over the past few years. People have quickly realized that while those dark stained floors look beautiful, they do show every fleck of dust and every last footprint and paw print. The solution? White Oak flooring. Now don’t let the word Oak scare you. This isn’t the yellowish orange oak floors of the past This is wide-planked, sometimes wire brushed, beautiful aged White Oak (or French Oak) floors. As someone who used to have an expansive amount of espresso stained, hand-scraped, hardwood floors and now has light gray stained floors, I can tell you firsthand that lighter floors significantly hide more dust and prints than dark hardwood. I would certainly still use dark hardwood floors in the right space (it grounds the room instantly and creates nice contrast against lighter furniture and walls), but the amount of cleaning required is really something to consider when making a decision on your floor color.

I probably wouldn't use a chevron or herringbone pattern throughout an entire house, however, this would be a unique application in an entryway or study. 

White Oak is also beautiful in smaller applications, too. It makes fantastic floating shelves in a kitchen, and instantly adds warmth and character to a space. I love it as a kitchen island for that very same reason, and plan to use it on an upcoming house that I’m helping Blue River Custom Builders design. We also used it for the master vanity in the modern farmhouse on Glen Arbor, although it hasn’t been sealed yet. 

And how gorgeous is the living room below with all that light woodwork playing off the stone of the fireplace and the planked ceiling?!? The great thing about light wood is it allows the lighting and hardware to really stand out, like that black lantern chandelier. Almost every finish with White Oak, but my favorites are black, antique brass and polished nickel/chrome. So what do you guys think? Are you into the light wood or do you think the trend will pass quickly? I for one am giving it two thumbs up!



SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment